Pages

November 30, 2013

SIX MONTHS

I have been a very weak and pitiful blogger the last few months year because I’ve had the emotional roller coaster of my short lifetime thus far. One year ago, I finally decided to get engaged to G. Half a year later, I married him. I can’t believe he has stuck by my side as my husband for six whole months. Between crying so hard I can’t breathe and cursing at my body image in the mirror, G conquers all my fears and doubts. He stays by me and tells me that everything is going to be okay (often times I follow, yelling “everything is NOT okay!!!). That man is one decision I’ll never regret.

I’ve hesitated posting this, (the fact that I prefaced this paragraph with that phrase suggests that perhaps I shouldn’t) but I want to share part of my experience as a newlywed.  The days following my honeymoon were overwhelming to say the least. The commitment I had just made with another human was unfathomable and daunting. Committing to someone for all eternity, FOREVER, cannot even be put into words. Never mind having pick up someone else’s socks from the floor or cleaning toothpaste splatter from your mirror, you are tied to this one person forever.

It wasn’t as if I wanted anyone else. Things just didn’t feel right. I was nervous and doubtful. I felt, and still feel, that there is no one better for me than my husband. I knew I loved him, so why wasn’t being married all that people made it out to be? I constantly thought I was disappointing him. I thought he was irritated with me. I cried most nights and called my mother way too much. I felt immature and unprepared. I saw girls getting married who were much younger I and they seemed to do just fine—what was wrong with me?  My married peers wouldn’t shut up about how amazing their marriage was and couldn’t stop sharing all the incredible gestures shown by their spouse. I wanted G to give me more attention and leave me notes. I wanted flowers and text messages throughout my day. The guy I dated was now consumed with two jobs and college classes and I was busy with work, student teaching, and adjusting to a lot of change. Real life was setting in and I didn't handle it well, AT ALL. I wasn’t happy for months. How could I have had a picture perfect wedding day, a honeymoon in paradise, the man of my dreams and still be unhappy?

All the change I experienced this last summer sent me somewhere dark. I was constantly worried about pleasing him. I doubted my abilities. I honestly convinced myself that I didn't deserve someone as wonderful as my husband and I thought he was going to leave. I even contemplated calling it quits myself. That is one horribly awful feeling. One I wish I never had. I felt utterly alone.

After countless prayers, arguments, tears, and more prayers, something wonderful happened.  I was scheduled to nanny for an entire weekend, and G was invited to keep my company. I had seen G with my nieces and nephew before, but there was something about this particular weekend that hit me hard. I stood in the light of the hallway, holding a teary-eyed three-year-old at three in the morning, I felt this flood of peace and reassurance: G found me and put his arm around me, whispering to the little boy that everything was going to be all right. He rubbed the boy’s back, kissed me on the cheek and waited with me until we got the boy to sleep.  That moment was all I needed. I realized that G and I are a team. He’s my better half; my partner in crime. He wasn't going to give up on my and I will never give up on him.

Everything is going to be all right.

That man is one decision I will never regret.

The reason I wanted to share this post is because I felt completely alone the first several months of my marriage. My mother consoled me and I found temporary relief in prayer, but for months my heart was heavy and I blamed myself. I tore myself up for feeling the way I did because everyone else around me was having a wonderful time being married. I was so hard on the woman I am that I drove myself into depression. Why did that happen? I sobbed through a Sunday school lesson because everyone was sharing why their marriages were great. I couldn’t relate and I felt as if I was a horrible wife. Maybe no one feels the way I felt, and if that’s the case, then at least I blogged today, right?

Things are still hard, but I am letting go of a lot of my insecurities. G puts up with my tears more than he should. He orders us take-out when a cooking experiment goes awry. He makes me feel like the most gorgeous human being, even if I have gained 10 pounds since getting hitched. He never gets mad. He always holds me. He is patient and kind. 


He makes me feel safe. 
I just have to believe him when he says that everything will be all right.




6 comments:

  1. I got married a few weeks before you, and I experienced some similar feelings! It's a huge adjustment that I wasn't really prepared for! I feel like I had so many expectations from seeing other marriages, that I was always questioning the way mine was going! But eventually I fell into a groove and realized that we are not the same as every other couple, and we were doing just fine! It was just a crazy adjustment for sure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it crazy how most of us have felt similarly, but we don't feel like we can share? I'm not going to lie, Jesse and I eased into marriage surprisingly smoothly. However, there were so many little things that I just assumed I would be "perfect" at and surprise surprise, I'm not perfect. I think that's why we are placed with a companion that loves us and can see our potential and efforts. We don't have a "perfect" marriage (whatever that means), but I absolutely love being married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. STEPH. I have so many things to say to you about this...so pardon the possibly incoherent comment.

    First off, kudos to you for posting this. I'll just echo what Leslie said, too...it's always nice to see how everything isn't always sparkles and rainbows like blogs and facebook posts so often lead us to believe. So, I really appreciate you being brave. It's admirable.

    There is SO MUCH pressure that comes with weddings and marriages and relationships. And I understand it to some extent because your marriage is and should be a huge part of your life. But the pressure that comes along with having your stuff figured out with a marriage is complete foolishness to me. And there are always people spouting out advice and tips to make your relationship better, but I think it can be so, so destructive. Why isn't this thing working for me? Why doesn't he do this or that? I'm doing things the way my parents are, who are in a good relationship...how come this doesn't work for me? Because each person is so unique in their wants and needs. And when there are two people involved who are working on a relationship which almost is it's own being, it is just impossible to have a formula that would work for everyone. Maybe this is obvious to you, but it's been a big thing for me to just focus on us, really, and what works for me and what works for Ian. Leslie actually posted a comment on my blog when I was engaged and said to never compare your relationship to others and it is so, so true. I had a few melt-downs when I was engaged because I constantly looked at relationships around me that were moving in the same sort of timeline and I couldn't get it out of my head that other relationships seemed to be working so beautifully and easily. But the truth was, my difficulties were just completely different than theirs. Each relationship just has different weaknesses, but they also have different strengths.

    I am pretty needy and extremely emotional almost all the time and while that's something that could been seen as a huge problem and overwhelming thing for some guys, Ian knows exactly how to help me with those things. He knows how I work and he knows what I need and this weakness of mine has ended up making our marriage stronger.

    I really just think that (and here we go, I'm giving advice like the hypocrite I am) you have to avoid comparing your relationship with others. It's toxic. Some people have certain things figured out with their relationships that I don't, but maybe I've got a really good way of doing something else in my marriage. You just can't know in detail how someone else's relationship works. Comparing yours to theirs does no good. I have really tried to make a conscious effort to not allow that to be part of my thought process and I feel like it helps me.

    Also, people can say all the want about the love languages being a load of crap, but I think it's a good guide to figuring out what your partner needs and even what you need. Ian scoffed when I first told him about it, but now he's going along with the ideas (sort of).

    Yada, yada. I feel dumb even saying anything because what person who has been married for six months knows anything about marriage. But whatever. You know me, I know you. We're all in this together. Whoopdeedoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insert obligatory "sorry about the lengthy comment" comment here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Steph! I think that marriage is one thing no one really understands (or begins to understand) until they're there (same with motherhood I might add...;-) ). Then it is a work in progress tailored to you. If it wasn't so hard, it couldn't be so incredible. I feel blessed that your bro married me. I realize that more now than the day I married him. He isn't perfect & neither am I (no matter how hard I try to convince myself of that in a disagreement), but he is perfect for *me.* And perfection requires corners being knocked off no matter how it hurts. Marriage takes some getting used to each other too. You and G make a great couple and a perfect pair. I've thought that since you told us you were going to marry him, and I still do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so grateful Greg found someone who loves him so much. I'm so sorry I didn't read this post sooner. I had a terrible time when I first married Nathan. It's not that he's a bad person, but he is so different from me. And yet there's time I am shocked by how similar we can be. Marriage is a huge adjustment. I'm grateful you found peace. :) I love you and love having you in the family.

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved