Pages

December 02, 2013

LIGHTER FARE MUSHROOM, ASPARAGUS, & CHICKEN ALFREDO

I posted this on Instagram about two weeks ago, promising I would post it the following day. Oops.

This is one of my favorite go-to recipes. I got it from an ex-boyfriend's mother and I have made a few changes to her recipe to make it slightly less guilty. The flavor isn't sacrificed, but for a creamier, more luscious texture, add more butter and use heavy cream instead of milk. 

Bon a petit! 

Chicken (optional) -- 
2-3 Chicken breasts
2 Tbs olive oil
Sea salt
Pepper


Trim 2-3 chicken breasts and cut into chunks. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper. In a medium skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat, cook chicken (about 2-3 minutes each side). Check the largest piece and make sure juices run clear. Set chicken aside.

Sauce: 

2 Tbs. butter (gasp!)
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (I use about 3-- you can never have enough garlic!)
2 Tbs. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups of milk (you can even use skim!)
1 cup shredded parmesean cheese
Sea salt
Pepper 
Nutmeg 

The first thing you will be doing is making a rous. This is a butter, flour and milk mixture that creates a thick sauce base. This also allows to omit that luscious, heavy cream. 

In a sauce pan over medium heat, heat butter and garlic. Be careful not to burn the garlic, it should become soft and translucent-- but not brown! 



Whisk in flour until thoroughly combined. Whisk in half the milk and bring to boil. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer for a few minutes. Your mixture will have thickened. Stir in half the cheese followed by remaining milk. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Remove from heat and cover. 

Asparagus and Mushrooms:
2 Tbs. olive oil
However many mushrooms you desire, thinly sliced (I only sliced enough for my hubs).
However many asparagus stalks you desire, cut into 2 inch sections (I cut tons of asparagus-- I love it!).
2 Tbs. olive oil

Heat oil in a medium skillet and sautée mushrooms and asparagus for about 5 minutes, turning veggies halfway through.


(I sautéed the mushrooms separately because I hate them. I added them to the dish after on the side of the bowl that serves my husband)

 Drain excess oil, return to low heat and add chicken to warm. Add sauce to skillet, stirring in veggies and chicken. 

Serve over whole wheat linguine. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.


What types of add-ins would you include in this recipe? 

Do any of you have guilty pasta recipes that you have adjusted to a lighter option? 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved