Pages

December 10, 2013

VEGETABLE SPAGHETTI SAUCE

The recipe I made for dinner last night turned out pretty amazing. The best part? It was LOADED with vegetables. I do not like vegetables, to say the least. I think their textures are despicable, they all taste like grass and the only time they are appealing is when they are steamed, covered in butter and showered with salt. 

What I'm saying, is that this recipe is one you'll want to make-- there's no butter. 


//////////////////////////////////////////////

Veggie Spaghetti Sauce:

1 cup of each diced:
Yellow Summer Squash
Zucchini
White onion
Carrot
Half of a Red Bell Pepper, diced
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
4 Tbs. tomato paste
1/8 cup sugar
1 tsp.  salt
1 tsp. nutmeg

Fresh basil and oregano to taste!

////////////////////////////////////////////

Pulse diced squash, zucchini, carrot, onion, and bell pepper in processor until desired size and consistency. I pulsed mine quickly to make them smaller, but not so much that they became mushy or runny. You can add ANY other vegetables you have on hand (spinach, mushrooms, broccoli, kale, etc.).




In a sauce pan over medium heat, warm olive oil and sauté all your diced veggies for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until veggies are soft. Add garlic. Sauté for 2-3 more minutes. 

Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar and stir until veggies are fully incorporated. Simmer sauce for 10-15 minutes, add salt and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring in basil and oregano 5 minutes before serving. 



Serve over whole wheat spaghetti-- about 6 servings. 

What I LOVE about this recipe is that it leaves plenty of leftover for me to take to work. I love that it's packed with veggies and it tastes so fresh. 



What veggies would you add to this sauce?
Do any of you have tricks for me to get more veggies in my life? 

1 comment:

  1. I genuinely hate vegetables even when they are covered in salt and butter, it is a constant struggle finding ways to tolerate them. So I am excited to try this, looks delish! (:

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved