Pages

April 01, 2013

MRS. DR.

During the next two months, my fiance is studying for and taking the MCAT, prepping for school applications, working at a pharmacy, being a stressed, successful student and getting married.  I am thrilled to be marrying Greg-- he is more than I could have ever asked for.  I could go on and on about him, trust me.  I am immensely proud of his ambitions and all that he has accomplished.  But, this weekend it hit me: he really is going to be a doctor someday

It didn't hit me like, "Yay! We will have a great salary and I can drive my white Range Rover!" 

It hit me like, "Oh, crap! Med school. Oh, crap." 

Greg and I watched a documentary (read more here) over the weekend that really opened my eyes to the experiences that await us.  I  a m  t e r r i f i e d.  We watched a few doctors throughout 21 years of their schooling, residencies, and careers.  We watched emotionally-drained students, under-compensated interns, struggling and failing marriages.  I don't now where he'll get accepted.  I don't know if we will be close to family.  I don't know how I will hold it together for my overworked husband. I don't know how we are going to do it, but I know we can. 

I know we can.  Greg is passionate about medicine and I know he will thrive in medical school.  I believe in him and anything he wants to take on.  I am not so sure that I will thrive while he's in medical school, but I'll cross that bridge when we come to it.  I want to be supportive and encouraging, but I love to worry.  I'm worried what strain this change will cause on my new marriage, but I know we can make it. 

It's an indescribable feeling knowing that I've found that man I want to take risks with.  I love that we are going to take risks together.  I may be scared out of my mind, but we are going to shoot for the moon together.  


1 comment:

  1. Hey Stephanie, you don't know me but I ran across your blog and just had to read it. My brother in law went to med school and my sister had the same fears as you did too. They met in high school and as soon as he got back from his mission they got married and he immediately went into med school. It was really hard on my sister at first because she too was newly wed and wanted to spend more time with him. What she did to help him and herself not go crazy was to make flash cards for him and help him with all of his exams and his quizzes. And I am happy to say that with all of that behind and him as a doctor and still happily married with 7 wonderful children they are almost all out of debt with that schooling. I guess what I am saying is don't stress too much about it cause you will find women who are in the same spot as you are and you will bond with them and they will help you get through this. And you will grow closer to your husband because you will do all sorts of special things every chance you get. :) Hope I am not overstepping my boundaries writing this to you. Hope everything goes well with you!!!
    Ruth Peterson.

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved