Pages

July 23, 2013

WHAT I MADE FOR DINNER: CLASSIC PIZZA

 Since my freshman year of college, I have been making this whole wheat pizza dough-- such a staple. I've perfected it over the past few years and you should make it.


 Margarita-- *Sauce, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, drizzled olive oil. 
After you take your pie out of the oven, sprinkle torn basil leaves. Enjoy!

Classic Pizza Dough--

1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 & 1/2 cup whole wheat flour  (1 & 2/3 cup all-purpose white flour)
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Pour water over yeast in a small bowl, wait about 5 minutes to activate yeast. Stir to dissolve. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Fold in yeast mixture and olive oil. If dough seems too sticky, sprinkle in some flour. If the dough seems too dry, sprinkle in some water. The dough should be smooth.

On a clean, lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 10 minutes until all the lumps are gone. Rub a little olive oil on dough and return to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour; your dough should have doubled in size.

Back on your floured surface, roll out dough using a rolling pin. You may need some extra flour on your rolling pin to keep dough from sticking. Put on oiled pizza pan or baking sheet and top with your favorite toppings!

After Bake at 425 for about 8-10 minutes, or until cheese bubbles in the center.

If you don't roll all the dough for date night, you can get about 3-4 personal sized pizzas from the recipe. Roll into balls, freeze in Ziploch bags. Toss in the fridge when you head to class/ run errands, etc. and it is ready to go by lunch time. Top with your favorite sauce (*see below!), veggies, cheese and any other toppings that suit your fancy.


//////////////////////////////////


Secret Spinach Sauce--

I am a junk food junkie & eating enough veggies can be tricky for me. I just don't love them. So, I tweaked a yummy pizza sauce recipe to be packed with spinach! I don't even notice the spinach & neither does the husband!

 3 Tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can 14 oz crushed tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano flakes
Salt to taste
Handfuls of raw spinach leaves

Heat 2 Tbs of olive oil in a medium skillet of moderate heat. Stir in garlic and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Careful not to burn the garlic! Transfer to blender. Blend tomatoes, oregano and salt to taste. Blend in spinach, spinach, and more spinach! My handful is about 1 cup or so.

/////////////////////////////////


What is your favorite pizza toppings? 
Tell me if you have an amazing pizza dough recipe... I love tweaking my own.

4 comments:

  1. That pizza looks AMAZING. I'm definitely going to give your whole wheat dough a try. I think I'll probably make a caprese pizza like yours, but add a balsamic reduction drizzled on top... and maybe some olives because who doesn't love olives?!

    I'm really excited about your blog, love the new design, and can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caprese sounds amazing...I'm going to try that with my leftover dough! I am glad you are reading-- can't wait to see all your amazing wedding photos:) So happy for you!

      Delete
  2. yummy! I will be making it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! I will be making it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved