Pages

February 11, 2014

FRENCH TOAST TOPPERS

I'm obsessed with French toast. 

It's my favorite menu item at breakfast restaurants and when I get a new box of eggs from my family's chickens you can bet I am grilling toast 'till the eggs are nearly gone. 

Normally, I pile mine with berries, syrup, cinnamon and brown sugar-- the works. But, quitting sugar has been tough on my favorite dish. This past weekend I played around with some things I had on hand and came up with some amazing toppings for french toast. For those of you who think quitting sugar would be hard, try eating stuff like this!




French Toast Batter - Serves 2
Whisk together:
2 large eggs
1/3 C. almond milk
A dash of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla (optional) 

Quickly soak 4 pieces of stale/toasted bread in batter, grill on lightly buttered skillet. 

Whipped Cream 
1 small carton of heavy whipping cream
1/2 packet of Stevia
A few drops of lemon extract 

With a hand or stand mixer, begin beating cream on low. Slowly increase speed until stiff peaks form. Quickly mix Stevia and lemon. Store leftovers for a day or so in the fridge. 

Cinnamon Butter
1/2 stick of butter, softened
1 Tbs warmed coconut oil
1/2 packet of stevia
1 Tbs cinnamon

Beat butter and oil until smooth, add Stevia and cinnamon. Spread on toast and enjoy. 

Tell me what your opinion is on artificial sweeteners? Do you use artificial sweeteners to cut back on added sugar, or do you prefer something natural like Stevia?

What's your favorite breakfast item?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog design by srslydsgn | 2014 | all rights reserved